Dr. Himanshu Thapliyal is currently an Associate Professor with the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, USA. He received a PhD degree in Computer Science and Engineering from the University of South Florida, Tampa, in 2011 where he received the ‘Distinguished Graduate Achievement Award’. From 2012-14, he worked as a designer of processor test solutions at Qualcomm, where he received the Qualcomm QualStar Award for contributions to memory built-in self-test. He joined as an Assistant Professor at the University of Kentucky, Lexington, USA in 2014 where he got promoted to Associate Professor in 2020. He has been ranked in the top 50 among scientists throughout the world in the field of ‘Computer Hardware and Architecture’ for the calendar Years 2019 and 2020. He is the recipient of the 2019 NSF CAREER award and the 2020 IEEE-CS TCVLSI Mid-Career Research Achievement Award. In March 2022, he is selected to the Inaugural Class of IEEE Computer Society Distinguished Contributors that recognizes his distinguished contributions to the society and the profession.
He has authored over 150 publications including more than 60 journal articles with over 5000 citations (h-index of 42). He has received Best Paper awards at 2021 IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE), 2020 IEEE World Forum on Internet of Things (WF-IoT), 2017 Cyber and Information Security Research Conference (CISR), and 2012 IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI (ISVLSI). He is the steering committee vice-chair of the IEEE Symposium on Smart Electronic Systems. He is serving as the Program Chair of the 2022 ACM Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI (GLSVLSI). He served as the General Chair of the 2020 IEEE Symposium on Smart Electronic Systems (iSES). He has served as the Program Chair of the 2020 IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE), 2019 IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI (ISVLSI), and 2018 IEEE Symposium on Smart Electronic Systems (iSES). He co-founded the IEEE International Workshop on Quantum Computing: Circuits Systems Automation and Applications (QC-CSAA). He is serving as the Section Editor of the Springer Nature Computer Science and is leading two sections: (i) Quantum Computing and Emerging Technologies, and (ii) Emerging Trends in Sensors, IoT and Smart Systems. He is also serving as the Senior Associate Editor of the IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, Associate Editor of the IEEE Internet of Things Journal, and the editorial board member of the Microelectronics Journal. His research interests include hardware security of IoT and vehicles, the circuit design of emerging technologies including quantum computing, and smart healthcare.
Dr. Thapliyal’s students have received several awards including the College of Engineering Dean’s Award for outstanding Ph.D. student, the College of Engineering Dean’s Award for outstanding Master’s student, ECE outstanding Masters research award, ECE outstanding undergraduate research awards, and the College of Engineering Dean’s Award for Outstanding Teaching Assistant. His recent Ph.D. graduate in quantum computing has joined academia as the tenure track Assistant Professor at the University of North Texas, Denton, USA. His students have secured positions in companies such as Google, Apple, Intel, Microsoft, Renesas Electronics, Lexmark, United Launch Alliance.
- Program Chair: 2022 ACM Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI (GLSVLSI)
- Best Paper Award: 2021 IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE)
- Himanshu Thapliyal Ranked among the Top 50 Scientists in his Field
- Best Paper Award: IEEE World Forum on Internet of Things 2020
- NSF CAREER Award 2019
- Google Scholar Profile (h-index:38; >4300 citations)
- Steering Commitee Vice-Chair: IEEE International Symposium on Smart Electronic Systems
- General Chair: IEEE International Symposium on Smart Electronic Systems (iSES 2020)
- Track Chair: IEEE International Conference on Computer Design (ICCD 2020)
- Program Chair: IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE 2020)
- Program Chair: IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI (ISVLSI 2019)
- Silicon Prototyping (Crypto Circuits): Energy Recovery Circuits Collaboration with Gifu University, Japan
- Featured Research: Front Cover of IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Volume 54, Issue 7, July 2018
- Featured Research: Quantum Circuits for Cryptanalysis
- Students Awards: Dean’s Award For Outstanding Ph.D. Student and ECE Undergraduate Research Award
- Program Chair: IEEE iSES 2018
- GIAN Course IIT Roorkee: Logic Design under Paradigm of Rebooting Computing
- Best Paper Award: UTB-SOI Based Adiabatic Computing for Low-Power and Secure IoT Devices, CISRC 2017
- Featured Research: MIT Technology Review and ACM TechNews